Thursday, March 6, 2008

Bottles BeGONE!

Whether it's because you prefer the taste or because you fear the tap, you're still hooked on bottled water. If it's because of the later, you may want to think again. Water bottles create an enormous amount of waste, use huge amounts of energy and create vast amounts of emissions. Make March the month you take a break from the bottle.
Here's why...

*
Bottling plants are inspected once a year as opposed to municipal sources which are inspected regularly. (Toronto water is inspected every 4 hours!)
*In 2004, Dasani withdrew half a million contaminated bottles from the shelves.
*READ THE LABELS, some bottled water comes from municipal water supplies. (The last bottle I read was from Mississauga, next time I'll just drive over and fill my own bottle!!)
*Making plastic bottles for North America alone consumed 17 million barrels of oil.
*Manufacturing a plastic bottle generates 100 times more emissions than making a glass bottle.
*Plastic water bottles have become the fastest-growing form of municipal solid waste in North America. In Canada, only 15% of bottles are recycled!
*Bottled H20 can cost between 240-10,000 times more than tap water.

Add a little lemon to your tap water and enjoy! If you must drink bottled water, please make sure your bottle finds its way to a blue box or maybe finds a second life as a bird feeder!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Monique!

How timely...My friend's and I were just talking, at Swansea, about plastic bottles...they were showing me this cool new canister (available at Diapereez and online and SIGG.com - no, I'm not getting paid to say that:) to replace not only water bottles but also sippy cups! I was just thinking about writing to let you know about that discussion but, of course, you've beat me to it. I also let them know about your campaign.

Thanks so for your efforts!

jennielea!