Monday, October 1, 2007

No Shampoo?!? Are you crazy?

O.K. so this may seem like a nutty idea so I tried it out before sending out this challenge! Can you go one whole month without shampoo? (no conditioner either!!) It's not as crazy as it may seem and it's much easier than you think. (After doing some research on shampoo ingredients, I may never go back!!)
Simply put, shampoo "cleans" your hair by stripping away the natural oils so that you may replace them with conditioners. Shampoos are full of toxins which you rub into your scalp then rinse and repeat.
How do you go shampoo free?? Wash your hair with a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water. Rinse with a solution of two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and water. Yes, it does taste a little funny but have you read the ingredients on your shampoo bottle lately?
For more detailed info on this challenge check out the sites to the right, 'poo free is more popular than you think.
Dandruff a problem? This may be your natural solution!
The fact that formaldehyde releasing preservatives are in your kid's soap may get you to switch from tear free shampoo to baking soda forever!! (BTW, it's called quaternium-15)
If anyone takes on this challenge, PLEASE send me a comment, even if you just try it for a day!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I checked out the websites and I am intrigued. I have been plagued with dandruff and scalp problems for years. I am up for the challenge and will start today. I will report back at the end of this month.

Amy in Pickering

Anonymous said...

Hey neighbour,
Sorry, I would've e-mailed but I can't find your e-mail address!

Have you tried these?

http://www.gdiapers.com/

I read great reviews at pregnancy.org! Just wondering if you've tried them?

Anonymous said...

I will absolutely try this! Will let you know how it goes...

Stephanie
Cleaning-Green.Net

Anonymous said...

wish I tried this way back when I was in highschool.

Steve

PS. has anyone heard of this mutipurpose cleaning/personal healthcare product called H2? curious whats in it..they say
its biodegradable but strong.
at www.goshaklee.info.

Anonymous said...

I checked out the gdiapers website and I agree it is a better way than traditional disposables. For our second baby (due very soon) we're going diaper-free. So no disposables and no cloth to wash.

To learn more about Natural Infant Hyiene check out Ingrid Bauer's website at:

http://www.natural-wisdom.com/

Sabrina

Gina McKenzie-Lodge said...

Shampooless-Day 1-Tried this today for the first time and I love it so far. My hair is so soft and even though it was a bit humid it didn't get as frizzy as it usually does.
I'm tryin it for a week to start and maybe it'll be for life if it continues this great...and inexpensive as well as much healthier!
Will report back soon.

Gina McKenzie-Lodge said...

Ok, this is a bit long but here goes... it's actually been 2 weeks and I'm hooked. I have long hair that used to be very oily if i didn't wash it every morning. Now I can go a day without looking like an oil slick.
My hair is so soft and it doesn't tangle like it used to. It brushes through so easily.
Added benefit is that my face isn't as oily as it used to be either especially when I wake up in the morning. Very excellent.
I think that the organic cider vinegar I used in the first place gave my hair more body than non-organic.
Oh! And my grey hair doesn't seem to show as much! Funny but even my husband mentioned it.

The first week it takes a bit of gettting used to your hair feeling like it is oily but it's the natural oil that you're not used to feeling since shampoos strip it away. Hair isn't meant to be "squeaky clean".

Now I want to find natural alternatives for the rest of my toiletries.
Try it! You'll like it.

Gina McKenzie-Lodge said...

Well, here's another update. It's been almost 2 years and I still use the baking soda and vinegar. I really love it. I have on occasion used shampoo when I wasn't home and my hair has felt so dry and frizzy I didn't like it much.
Another thing I've found is that sometimes you may have to adjust the amounts depending on your body. I had to change things a bit after I had my baby since my hair changed a bit.
It's great! Go for it I say.